The exercise is simple. In the left column are general statements. In the right column are classic American movies. Your job is to restate each item in the left column with a classic quote.
We don’t want to bring everything. There isn’t much chance that we will need to use the gun again. In fact, it could be detrimental to our well being to be caught with it, so leave it there. However, my wife specifically reminded me to buy the pastries, so we should bring those with us.
Leave the gun; bring the canoli. The Godfather
To make it extra fun, I am just providing the quotes. If you need hints, here is a link to the movies.
- I have to be honest with you. I am no longer invested emotionally in our relationship, and because of that I admit I am feeling a sense of detachment bordering on ennui regarding your future plans.
- Let’s face it. There is a limited market for this kind of service. That is why we invested so heavily and trained so rigorously to provide it. We feel confident that we can manage your crisis satisfactorily. Feel free to shop around for other options, but I do not really think you will find a superior one within your time frame.
- I can’t say this with absolute certainty, but none of the landmarks look correct. I think the storm might have thrown off my navigation. In any case, I cannot say with any confidence that we are where we thought we should be.
- I don’t know what it is about guys. If an attractive woman even hints that she is interested in him, a guy will do crazy things to impress her. It looks like this guy really fell hard.
- I have to know that my financial position is secure before I even think about quality-of-life issues if I consider them at all. So we need to take care of that negotiation point first.
- You know what I think? I think our memories are tied to specific places and times. It’s like our brains are big file cabinets, but you can search under where something happened or when or both. That’s why even if we never see each other again, we can share fond memories because of where we were and under what circumstances.
- I hoped it would happen, but even after all of my thought and careful preparation, I have to admit I am surprised! The neuro-chemical signals from the brain are beginning to excite the organs and lymph systems. All of the self-sustaining functions are renewing themselves. In a few moments it will regain sentience!
- You know it’s bad for you in the long run, both health wise and spiritually to always import such gravity to every situation. Sometimes you have to look for the levity in moment. Relax.